WAHM question
WAHM advice

From the FTC:

WAHM.com Boards
  WAHM.com Question of the Week
  What can a sahm do to make money?

profile | register | preferences | faq | search

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   What can a sahm do to make money?
sarastired
unregistered
posted November 26, 1999 01:47 PM           Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I am a sahm with no car during the day. It would be really nice to make some extra money and still be home with my 10 mo old son. I have looked endlessly (it seems) for something I can do from home, but it all seems a little shakey. Please tell me what has worked for you.
Thank you,
Sara Swanson
chrisnsara@earthlink.net

IP: Logged

Tatia Curry
New to WAHM.com
posted November 29, 1999 02:34 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Tatia Curry   Click Here to Email Tatia Curry     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hey, Sara! How are you, girl? No wonder you're tired with a 10-month old! One of my best friends turned me onto a business opportunity that can be worked @ home with no transportation. There are no products to purchase or sell, no inventory, no employees, basically none of the hassles you run into with other at-home businesses (I've researched many!). I started my own business about 6 months ago(working it approx. 5 hours/week; some weeks more & some weeks not at all), and have already made 5 times my initial investment and a free Dell computer to boot! Don't get me wrong, this is NOT a get-rich-quick kinda thing, but it IS relatively easy, and I like the flexibility of it (I work it, not the other way around!) Let me know if you want more info., and good luck finding something that's right for YOU!

sherhoban
unregistered
posted February 13, 2001 01:16 PM           Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hi Sara,
I too am looking for the perfect at home job. For the past 8 years I have had an at home day-care. It has worked for me, you might want to contact your local or county child services for more info.

mom4ever
New to WAHM.com
posted February 13, 2001 08:17 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for mom4ever   Click Here to Email mom4ever     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I'm a stay at home mom and recently started a home based business. If you'd like more information email me at mom4ever@dreamscape.com

liamsmomsauctions
unregistered
posted February 25, 2001 12:47 AM           Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Have you checked out online auctions???? If you can get out once a week they can work for you. Even just Saturdays, you can do your shopping and ship your orders on the same day. Check out the board on online auctions for suggestions or even just check out Ebay or something. It is pretty easy to do and can make you some extra cash!!! Good Luck!!!

molly20
WAHM.com regular
posted February 26, 2001 03:23 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for molly20   Click Here to Email molly20     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hi, there are alot of things moms can do to make money while they stay at home with their kids, which you can see if you explore this site. As for me I sell candy. If you would like to know more about selling candy you can contact me at mollyraudenbush@hotmail.com

DTNancy
WAHM.com regular
posted February 27, 2001 12:27 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for DTNancy   Click Here to Email DTNancy     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
You said you don't have a car during the day, do you have one in the evening??? I have a "home party" type business, I love being home with my children during the day, and about once or twice a week I get a paid mom's night out where I meet new people, share my products, have adult conversation, eat dessert..... and go home with money in my pocket! It's a fun and flexible way to "play" for a living... and my husband and kids love their special evenings together too!

------------------
When you wish upon a star - anything is possible!
Ask me how you can PLAY for a living!

TRosciano@excite.com
unregistered
posted March 06, 2001 01:49 PM           Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sherhoban:
Hi Sara,
I too am looking for the perfect at home job. For the past 8 years I have had an at home day-care. It has worked for me, you might want to contact your local or county child services for more info.

I would like more information if you get a chanc. Thanks!

chemicalfree35
WAHM.com regular
posted March 06, 2001 10:04 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for chemicalfree35   Click Here to Email chemicalfree35     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hi Sara,

First you need to think about what you want to do, if you are looking for a home business. There are alot of different companies that offer different ways to make money. Just be careful that you don't get burnt. If you have some that you need checked out , I might be able to help you there. Think about if you want an online home business or an off line home business. Do you want to sell products? When you figure out what you want to do, then you can look into companies that offer what you need. Anna

DiannS
New to WAHM.com
posted March 13, 2001 10:42 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for DiannS   Click Here to Email DiannS     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
please anyone who will read this..... I need to find work at home sooooo fast!.please someone has to be out there that can help me and others find something to do from home. im not looking for a get rich scheme. just something that i can make a few extra hundred a month? please my husband works so hard over 101 hours a week, he makes good money but uncle sam seems to think he's owed half of his check.lol but ive been looking and looking and i dont know what to do or where to look. i dont really have any hobies i wish i did, but just about now im willing to try anything. but please nothing from the M.O.M team, they were nice to me but thats not for me,sorry .but please anyone who can help me and maybe help me along in something i would be ever so grateful. because i need to do something and fast,but please im begging anyone who can help me and any one else please resond to this. thank you very much for reading this. =) in case my e-mail is solous2000@yahoo.com thanks =)

Kelhyder
unregistered
posted March 21, 2001 09:21 AM           Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sarastired:
I am a sahm with no car during the day. It would be really nice to make some extra money and still be home with my 10 mo old son. I have looked endlessly (it seems) for something I can do from home, but it all seems a little shakey. Please tell me what has worked for you.
Thank you,
Sara Swanson
chrisnsara@earthlink.net

Actually, I do have something you can do. I have made a website that sells BluesClues furniture. It is a very small website and it is for others who want to become independent representatives for my compnay which is Treasurestash.com. You would only have to run your site which the hosting is free. The site is located at
http://webfashioner.com/Blues_Clues/Home.html

You can add more items to this page. There is a shopping cart on there. You can also add any of my products on your site or any other site you may obtain on your own.The keywords will be properly entered and if you would look in the search, you will find that Blues Clues Furniture is not really taken. The orders will be directed to me and I will fill the shipping for you. You will receive 30% of commissional revenue from your site. You may want to become a buyer for more Blues Clues items and add it to your site on your own. Tehn you can use EBay as well. This site is 225.00 and there is no hosting fees,credit card transaction fees or anything else. I had this made for one of my representatives but, she could not come up with the amount of money in time. Normally, I do not charge anyone for becoming a representative but, she was in the same situation as you with no car. You can check my site at www.treasurestash.com and see that I am a viable and independent business. If you need more info. contact me at Kelhyder@aol.com.

susanhgp
unregistered
posted March 21, 2001 07:08 PM           Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sara, I have been with Home & Garden Party (home pary plan) for over and year and a half and really LOVE IT! If you're interested in more information, visit my website at susanhgp99.homestead.com or e-mail me at susanhgp99@home.com for details. Hope you find what's JUST RIGHT for you.

chemicalfree35
WAHM.com regular
posted March 22, 2001 07:05 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for chemicalfree35   Click Here to Email chemicalfree35     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I have been to TreasureStash site and I don't understand how you can make 30% when they show you only making 5% per item sold. Also I don't undestand the shipping charges. You say that you don't pay shipping but the site says you do. Confused. Anna

quote:
Originally posted by Kelhyder:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by sarastired:
[b]I am a sahm with no car during the day. It would be really nice to make some extra money and still be home with my 10 mo old son. I have looked endlessly (it seems) for something I can do from home, but it all seems a little shakey. Please tell me what has worked for you.
Thank you,
Sara Swanson
chrisnsara@earthlink.net

Actually, I do have something you can do. I have made a website that sells BluesClues furniture. It is a very small website and it is for others who want to become independent representatives for my compnay which is Treasurestash.com. You would only have to run your site which the hosting is free. The site is located at
http://webfashioner.com/Blues_Clues/Home.html

You can add more items to this page. There is a shopping cart on there. You can also add any of my products on your site or any other site you may obtain on your own.The keywords will be properly entered and if you would look in the search, you will find that Blues Clues Furniture is not really taken. The orders will be directed to me and I will fill the shipping for you. You will receive 30% of commissional revenue from your site. You may want to become a buyer for more Blues Clues items and add it to your site on your own. Tehn you can use EBay as well. This site is 225.00 and there is no hosting fees,credit card transaction fees or anything else. I had this made for one of my representatives but, she could not come up with the amount of money in time. Normally, I do not charge anyone for becoming a representative but, she was in the same situation as you with no car. You can check my site at www.treasurestash.com and see that I am a viable and independent business. If you need more info. contact me at Kelhyder@aol.com.

[/B][/QUOTE]

Kelhyder
unregistered
posted March 22, 2001 03:48 PM           Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chemicalfree35:
I have been to TreasureStash site and I don't understand how you can make 30% when they show you only making 5% per item sold. Also I don't undestand the shipping charges. You say that you don't pay shipping but the site says you do. Confused. Anna

If you would look at the site again, the following text is on the first page:

Treasure Stash is dedicated to bringing the discriminating consumer the very finest in
Home Accents, Furniture, Gifts & Collectibles and Children's Items ... with free shipping in the US!

Shipping is Free. Where on my site does it say that SHIPPING IS CHARGED??? We work with manufacturers that dropship for us for a very minmal cost like $5.00 and get volume discount. Some of our providers offer free frieght as well. I did a lot of homework and spent a lot of my time thinking through on this. I have had to bypass many lines becuase of the shipping and minimum orders etc. Most of the manufacturers or lines we work with require no minimums.

As far as the 5%,I am not sure where you get that figure from. How would you figure that? One example, if you would look at the Home Accents/Lighting category, you will see in the Victorian subcategory - a Yellow Victorian Lamp for $330.00. The cost to purchase this lamp is aprrox.$118.00. It is marketed for $330.00. $330.00 minus the cost of $118.00 is $212.00. A sales representative would make $63.60 - which is 30% of $212.00, while Treasurestash makes $148.40.(leaving enough room for reps who sponsor other reps to accrue UP to an additonal 11% of their sales). So, maybe you can explain to me how you are confused on the 5% and I can help you understand it. If you have any further questions, I will be more than happy to answer them.

beamjl
unregistered
posted March 22, 2001 10:02 PM           Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I also visited the site. The Blue one too. (My 2 year old would flip over that stuff) I just have to ask though, who in the world would you market any of this stuff to? I don't know a single woman (even the 9-5 'ers) who would pay $330 for a lamp. Just wondering how the average mom is going to market the product here. By the way, loved the mailbox coat hanger thing at Blue!

mom@home
unregistered
posted March 23, 2001 03:18 AM           Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

Pulled this right off of your order form, check the last line, SHIPPING CHARGES NOT INCLUDED IN PRICE, something doesn't look right to me, I'd write it *shipping included* if that were the case

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stock# Quantity Letter Size Price Total Description
BC-05 (E) 25 x 27 x 20.25 182.00 Toy Chest.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sub Total: $
Georgia residents add 4.0% sales tax. All other states pay price without sales tax. Ga. Tax: $ Total $

Name:
Address:
City:
State: Choose State Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming
Zip Code:
Telephone #:
E-mail: Card Type:
AE - Visa - MC
Credit Card #: Exp. Date:

SHIPPING CHARGES NOT INCLUDED IN PRICE

Kelhyder
unregistered
posted March 23, 2001 12:11 PM           Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by beamjl:
I also visited the site. The Blue one too. (My 2 year old would flip over that stuff) I just have to ask though, who in the world would you market any of this stuff to? I don't know a single woman (even the 9-5 'ers) who would pay $330 for a lamp. Just wondering how the average mom is going to market the product here. By the way, loved the mailbox coat hanger thing at Blue!
Most of the items that are on the site are the more expensive items. These are not really items you would try to market in your everyday "parties". This is a complicated thing to try to explain. For some of the lines that we carry, we had to meet a minimum opening order. The minimum opening order (we are buyers) is a one time opening order in order to be able to open an account with the line. Most of these minimum opening orders are very, very high.If we were to open each account,we would have had to obtain storage somewhere and start our business with high overhead. We did not want to do that. However, we have met all minimum opening orders and are able to market many lower priced items which we are working on posting on the site as well. This why we are able to expand now into this area of recruiting sales representatives, which has been my goal fo rthe last year. The lamps are of very high quality not, that it matters to the average mom but, I hope this explains it. The "parties" will have MUCH (1000'S)more lower items. We are going to expand by posting all of our lower priced items on the site. You can look at the category Decorate in Themes and see what kind of products that are "Lower" items. There will be over 1000 more items and it would fall in this price range. Take a look at the Botanical Theme or any other Theme where on the average most of the items are $25.00 or less. Also,we have had to make sure we meet the minimum of each product for some lines as well. Some products, we had to purchase a minimum of 6 of the same item. We started this website with the higher priced items so we could open our accounts with the manufacturers. We did not see any reason to "Buy" something from every line when we can sell them to interior designers and customers abroad. I would suggest to anyone to take a look at the site in the future by April and see that there will be MUCH MORE lower priced items of great value.Where else can you get placemats for $5 a piece that are tapestry and the shipping is free? A metal footstool with tapestry for $40, a tapestry runner for $20 and a magazine rack as unique as ours for $35? Those types of items are items that you will see.

If any one would like to see the images that I have on file and the pricelist that we plan on including, just contact us. Kelhyder@aol.com.

Kelhyder
unregistered
posted March 23, 2001 12:47 PM           Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mom@home:

Pulled this right off of your order form, check the last line, SHIPPING CHARGES NOT INCLUDED IN PRICE, something doesn't look right to me, I'd write it *shipping included* if that were the case

I am glad you wrote this. It helps me to be able to educate others on this board about what I do. This is NOT MY SITE. This a CUSTOMIZED website for SALES REPRESENTATIVES of Treasurestash. One of the benefits of working with Treasurestash is that you can add any items on your customized website. Again, this will not be my website. We make sites as a service to our representaives for a fee providing of course that there are some but not all of Treasurestash's products on it. We believe that if someone were to pay for a customized website, it should belong to them and not be limited. The site is set up in such a way that TREASURESTASH is NOTIFIED by e-mail that there has been product purchase made that belongs to us. The cart itself does not belong to us. If a sales representative decides to add Blues Clues Toys, she may want to charge shipping.
The cart basically has been left open and really should be changed so, there are no questions as to how this works right after reading my posts.

However, there are lines of Blues Clues from a lot of sources and this cart would be up to the sales rep as to what will be done with it. We could not put 2 different carts on one site. In other words, if you owned this site and charged shipping for my items then, I certainly would not get it -- you would because it is your site.

Kelhyder
unregistered
posted March 23, 2001 01:20 PM           Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
quote:

After reading and responding to you, I checked the Blues Clues site again. I thought you meant at the end of the order it said that Shipping charges not included. Actually it is not part of the cart but, on the site, it does says that. I am not sure why my web partenr put it there. He may have assumed that I charged for shipping and I did not tell him otherwise. That should not be there. Thank you for bringing that to my attention . I am requesting that it be removed I really appreciate you bringing that to my attention

mom@home
unregistered
posted March 23, 2001 02:49 PM           Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

wasn't trying to be difficult, we have a hard enough time finding and getting out BIZs going

Kelhyder
unregistered
posted March 23, 2001 03:41 PM           Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
quote:

wasn't trying to be difficult, we have a hard enough time finding and getting out BIZs going

I never really thought you were being difficult. It is a legitimate concern and would be to me if I saw that. I am glad you posted it. I understand what you mean.

Kelhyder
unregistered
posted March 28, 2001 04:04 PM           Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
quote:

I thought I would post my link up so if anyone had any questions or want toread any information about what exactly is involved in what I offer so that people can work from home.

It is : http://webfashioner.com/Work_At_Home/Frames_Page.html

Just so I can clarify and clear up any misunderstandings

bumchecks
New to WAHM.com
posted March 12, 2005 11:21 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for bumchecks     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Over a million "bounced" checks are written each day in the U.S. Many businesses have thousands of dollars in bad checks. While many find it overwhelming to open up their own collection agency, there are some agencies that are accepting new collecion reps. One such agency is NorthStar Technologies, a leading collector for NSF (bounced) checks as well as other debts. Get a general overview of NorthStar at www.bumchecks.com. More than a few stay at home moms are working for collection agencies and loving it because (1) it offers hours you want to set, (2) ladies are their own boss, (3) there are no start up costs, (4) it is a way to help businesses in your community, and (5) there is LOTS of uncollected debt in the U.S. If you would like to consider working as a rep for a great collection agency (and this is a company you can represent with a good conscience), visit www.bumchecks.com/sales.

legalape2
WAHM.com regular
posted March 13, 2005 08:33 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for legalape2   Click Here to Email legalape2     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

Hi Sara:

If you email I will show what works for me and it may for you. legalape2@aol.com

Hi

quote:
Originally posted by sarastired:
Thank you,
Sara Swanson
chrisnsara@earthlink.net

tamralynn
WAHM.com regular
posted March 14, 2005 05:54 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for tamralynn   Click Here to Email tamralynn     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I worked at home for 8 years selling on ebay and direct sales. If you are limited on transportation, you can find a business to do solely online. Find items that you can have drop shipped right from the supplier. You can sell them on ebay or other auctions sites plus your website. The other thing that is hot on ebay are scrapbooking items. Most are small enough that you can stick them in your own mailbox to mail. Plus with Paypal and other online postage places (endicia/stamps.com) you can print your own postage and have the post office pick them up for you. When I was at my peak selling on ebay, I made about $2,000 a month. I put in more than a 40 hour week though from home. Time consuming but it paid the bills and allowed me to be home when the kids got off the bus. Plus I could work at 10pm if I wanted to.

The other business I ran was a direct sales business. I just joined a new candle company called White Lily Candles. They offer online advertising, online ordering for your customers and drop shipping right to them. If you are planning on only working from home and do decide to go with a direct sales business - make sure they have a good online policy. Some companies are very strict and don't allow you to mention their name or even advertise online. Some you can advertise online with but don't offer online ordering for your customers. Others offer online ordering but don't drop ship to them - so you'd have to ship the products out. Look around - there are a ton of direct sales businesses out there, find one that sells products you would enjoy selling.

------------------
Tamra Augostino

Cinnamon Buns
Banana Nut Bread
and Lemon Merignue Pie
All with 0 Calories!
http://www.monkeyfartcandles.com

http://whitelilycandles.com/store/affiliate.asp?aff=3/

All times are ET (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic