WAHM question
WAHM advice

From the FTC:

WAHM.com Boards
  Husband Advice
  How can I convince my husband to move?

profile | register | preferences | faq | search

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   How can I convince my husband to move?
Florida Peach
New to WAHM.com
posted March 24, 2005 12:29 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Florida Peach     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
We currently live in South Florida and want to start trying to have kids. I want to move closer to my family so they arenít so far away in case I need help and instruction with motherly things since Iíve never been a mother before. They live in South Georgia. As it is, we only get to go a couple of times a year for special occasions. Iím originally from GA and my husband grew up in South FL. He thinks itís ďthe greatest place on EarthĒ. I couldnít disagree more. Iíve been here 6 yrs too long IMO.

Weíve been all over the state trying to find somewhere in the middle so that it would be easy to visit both sides, but we havenít been able to find anything we like. Either the job situation is less than desirable or the land and housing prices are far beyond our budget for our stage in life. Weíve agreed we want certain things for our kids and know that if we stay here, we wonít be able to afford to give them what we want. Weíd have a better chance if we moved to GA since the cost of living is much cheaper there compared to FL; especially SoFla.

The problem is, he doesnít want to move as far away from his parents as Iíve been from mine all this time. When we first started talking of moving somewhere north of Jacksonville a few years ago, he had no problem with it. But then something changed and he decided that he only wants to split the difference, which has proven impossible for what weíre looking for. Weíve even readjusted and compromised and still canít find anything suitable.

Iíve tried to tell him that prices and taxes are cheaper on the other side of the state line and thatíll make it easier for us to accomplish our goals in the long run, but he wonít budge. He doesn't understand why I would rather have guidance from my own mother as opposed to his! Iím at my witís end and donít know what else to say, do or how to proceed. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

IP: Logged

umibby
WAHM.com regular
posted March 24, 2005 06:07 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for umibby   Click Here to Email umibby     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hi. I like your id, Florida peach lol.
Why don't you like south Fl.?
I don't really have any advice, just wanted to say I was in kind of the same position before. Only I moved TO Ga. and wanted to get out lol. I tried to get my dh to move but there was absolutely no budging him. I was wondering what the suggestions would be. It's too late, but I was curious what, if anything would work in this situation.

------------------
www.touchoflovegreetings.com

Florida Peach
New to WAHM.com
posted March 25, 2005 07:37 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Florida Peach     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Different strokes for different folks! lol

I don't like it because it's waaay too crowded and housing costs are through the roof for tiny little houses in bad neighborhoods. Unless we win lotto or DH gets a dream job, there's little chance that I'd be able to stay home once we have kids.

I grew up on a 60 ac. farm so I had plenty of space to play as a kid. When I first moved here, I was shocked to learn that 1 ac. is considered an "estate" and can easily cost upwards of $600K. It hasn't been an easy adjustment for me and there are things I want to teach our kids that I just can't do in this environment.

Dawson
WAHM.com regular
posted March 26, 2005 05:42 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Dawson     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I feel your pain! I'm from south Georgia, too, and I miss it terribly. (Where are you from, btw? I grew up in Folkston.)

We live in Cincinnati, and I can't wait to move far, far away from here. My husband went to college in Georgia, and he liked parts of it. For him, though, I had to show him that all of the southern part of the state wasn't what he imagined.

Anyway, what about the Jax Beach area? It's not as tourist-oriented, and you can still enjoy the water.

I understand about the kids thing. Now that our son's here, I think, "where will he ride his tricycle?" I actually love the city but don't want to raise kids there, and I can't stand the suburbs! I appreciate having grown up in a rural area, despite its drawbacks.

Florida Peach
New to WAHM.com
posted March 27, 2005 07:55 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Florida Peach     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
You're not too far from my parents, Dawson! They live in Blackshear now. I grew up in Fayetteville.

I have the same problem with my DH. He says he just hasn't seen anything he likes in GA. Of course, the only thing he's ever seen is either the roads to Blackshear or whatever he could see from 95 on his way north. I'm going to take him to Savannah when we visit next and see what he thinks then. He likes beautiful towns with character and history, which is why we'll probably end up somewhere near St. Augustine if I can't convince him to cross the river.

We don't want to live to close to the tourist attractions and land is a little tough to find out west of St. Aug. We thought we'd found the perfect piece of land and when we got there, it was completely underwater! lol Funny now; not funny then.

Good luck on escaping Cincinnati! Is your DH at least willing to move back to GA?

All times are ET (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | WAHM.com