THESE BOARDS ARE NOW READ ONLY -- PLEASE COME TO OUR *NEW* MESSAGE BOARDS: www.wahm.com/forum

See you there! Cheryl :)

WAHM.com logo
WAHM WAHM Free WAHM Masters Course
WAHM Home
WAHM boards
WAHM.com jobs
WAHM.com articles
WAHM opportunities
WAHM Classifieds
WAHM Directory
WAHM Businesses
WAHM editorial
WAHM Mom the cartoon
WAHM bookstore

WAHM Links
WAHMEE Award
WAHM.com Undercover
Ask Jane
Recipes
WAHM question
WAHM advice

From the FTC:

WAHM.com Boards
  Business Advice and Business Topics
  Jafra, Mary Kay, Avon, Arbonne... what makes your company special?

profile | register | preferences | faq | search

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Jafra, Mary Kay, Avon, Arbonne... what makes your company special?
1000freckle
New to WAHM.com
posted September 28, 2004 04:20 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for 1000freckle   Click Here to Email 1000freckle     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hi ladies,

I'm new to the wahm message boards. I live in Phoenix, just turned 30 a couple of weeks ago, have 2 gorgeous kids, and have been at home for about 4 1/2 years. I love it. But I also feel like I need to do something for me. Make a little bit of extra money... and see where it takes me to.

I'm originally from Germany, where I worked as an asthetician and sold Jafra cosmetics. I was extremely happy with the products, and the job was fun.

Cosmetics seem to be the way to go for me... but what do I see here? 4 different companies, that seem to be equally interesting, attractive, fun to work for. I have done some research, but I feel I'm still missing real peoples opinions.

That's why I'm asking you ladies... what is it that makes your company the best one? Why do you love it there? What and how much ($$) does it take to get started.

I'm very curious and looking forward to every answer.

Thank you!

Freckle :-)

------------------
Yesterday doesn't exist any more... tomorrow doesn't exist yet... live here and now and be happy

IP: Logged

steffk
WAHM.com regular
posted September 28, 2004 05:03 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for steffk   Click Here to Email steffk     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I don't sell skincare products anymore, but I used to sell Arbonne. What makes them different is that they are based on botanical principles. They are truly awesome products. The RE9 line is revolutionary. I am only a wholesale buyer right now, because home parties aren't really my thing. So I found a business that was a better fit for me. It was a hard decision at first because I loved the Arbonne products so much, but I found another company based on the same principles. If you are looking for a home party kind of business I would definitely recommend Arbonne. I don't know anything about Jafra, so I can't compare it. It's just my opinion. Hope this helps! Good luck in the search Freckle and welcome to the boards!

------------------
Stephanie Knecht
Start doing your best work from home!
www.athomeexcellence.com

abakerstreat&MK
WAHM.com regular
posted September 28, 2004 05:42 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for abakerstreat&MK   Click Here to Email abakerstreat&MK     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fun topic. I can only speak towards my own experience so if another company is similar please let us all know. I joined Mary Kay for the simple reason of wanting to make some extra money. The company offers 50% commission on personal sales and a couple of different tiers of commissions on team members sales. I will give you more details if you need. Once I got involved with Mary Kay I've stuck with it because I love the companies philosophy of faith first, family second, and career third. Fits closely to my own. I am doing this to be a bigger part of my daughters life not working all the time. I also love that the goal of the company is to enrich women's lives. I have been a victim's advocate for the past 9 years and women's issues are in my heart and soul. I love the products. I have a sensitive face and can't use just anything out there. Bottom line I love what I do, I love the products, support/training, prizes, recognition for my accomplishments and so much more. Oh and its $100 plus tax & shipping for the starter kit. I know you'll get tons of great answers from everyone on this board. Good luck to you!!! I hope you find something that fits best for you. Keep us posted.

------------------
Audra
A. Baker's Treat
abakerstreat.com
marykay.com/amontoya-baker.com
Mary Kay Independent Beauty Consultant

[This message has been edited by abakerstreat&MK (edited September 28, 2004).]

image_pro
WAHM.com regular
posted September 28, 2004 05:49 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for image_pro     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I noticed you didn't include my company BeautiControl, but I will respond because I have been in both Mary Kay (10 years) and Arbonne (about 2 years). There were things I liked about both companies at the time I was with them. Mary Kay has good marketing tools, products and good name recognition. There is plenty of support and comaraderie and good product discounts. Arbonne has really great products and their consultants love the idea that they are botanically based and there is a variety of products to promote. They are becoming more known in some areas and the company is really growing.

If you liked your Jafra business in Germany why don't you do Jafra here? I don't know much about them, but I have heard excellent things about their products. I have several acquaintances who use Jafra. I think it is all in which company is a good match for you. Read everything you can about each one. Contact consultants and ask a lot of questions so you can make an educated decision on your own without feeling pressured from anyone. When someone asks me about my company, I am more than happy to share information. It doesn't mean that I expect the person to sign up with me. I usually know they are simply trying to decide and it has to be right for them.

Actually, I was going to go back to Mary Kay but because I had sent back inventory to the company I was no longer eligible to be a consultant. So I went looking because I too love the skin care/cosmetic business. I tried Arbonne and it wasn't a good match for me. Others love it though! I looked at several other companies and ended up where I am now and I love it! It is a great match for me and what I like to do. Good luck in your search. I know there are plenty of consultants from each of the companies you mentioned who would love to share information with you! Go to their message boards and strike up a conversation!! I know they will help you.

I don't want to butt in because you didn't specifically ask but I'd be happy to share about my company too.

Cheryl www.beautipage.com/cvk

[This message has been edited by image_pro (edited September 28, 2004).]

MLT
New to WAHM.com
posted September 28, 2004 09:14 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for MLT   Click Here to Email MLT     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cheryl, I'm a four-month-old consultant with Arbonne. I'm curious as to why it wasn't a good match for you.

gemini1966
WAHM.com regular
posted September 28, 2004 09:57 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for gemini1966   Click Here to Email gemini1966     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
There are definately more choices, but it really depends on where you are wanting to go with your business. If you have values that are important to you and if the company meets that criteria. There are lots of great products, and you need to stand behind them as well as the company and its operating procedures and know that you have a sellable product.

------------------
Diane

"Pamper your body and nourish your soul with inspired-by-nature products from a company with values"

Rosebud
New to WAHM.com
posted September 28, 2004 10:45 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Rosebud   Click Here to Email Rosebud     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I sell Lia Sophia Jewelry. The starter kit is only $99 and you get $365 of jewelry plus many other things. You earn 30% of your total shows. I have earned $400 of free jewelry as well as over $700 of paychecks. I have had about 4 shows so far. Everyone loves jewelry. This jewelry has a lifetime warrenty also. They have special deals for customers ALL the time and as a advisor you can purchase the jewelry at 70% off, yes that is correct 70% off.

I just love working for this company.

rose

quote:
Originally posted by 1000freckle:
Hi ladies,

I'm new to the wahm message boards. I live in Phoenix, just turned 30 a couple of weeks ago, have 2 gorgeous kids, and have been at home for about 4 1/2 years. I love it. But I also feel like I need to do something for me. Make a little bit of extra money... and see where it takes me to.

I'm originally from Germany, where I worked as an asthetician and sold Jafra cosmetics. I was extremely happy with the products, and the job was fun.

Cosmetics seem to be the way to go for me... but what do I see here? 4 different companies, that seem to be equally interesting, attractive, fun to work for. I have done some research, but I feel I'm still missing real peoples opinions.

That's why I'm asking you ladies... what is it that makes your company the best one? Why do you love it there? What and how much ($$) does it take to get started.

I'm very curious and looking forward to every answer.

Thank you!

Freckle :-)

NOEVIR
New to WAHM.com
posted September 28, 2004 11:25 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for NOEVIR   Click Here to Email NOEVIR     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I sold Avon for almost 10 years. This year I moved to a Japanese cosmetics company, Noevir. They are one of the top 30 cosmetic manufacturers in the world. I chose them for a variety of reasons including:

*Product can be drop-shipped to the customer - I don't have to bag and deliver or try to collect money
*Low start-up cost - $30
*No inventory
*No minimums
*Noevir does not compete with the consultant for sales
*No home parties required
*Noevir manufactures their own products
*Products are based on natural ingredients - no mineral oil, no artificial coloring, no synthetic emulsifiers
*No animal testing
*Extensive allergy testing on all products
*90-day money back guarantee on all products
*Incredible Quality Control (research and production facilities are ISO 9001:2000 and ISO 14001 certified)
*Competitive Compensation Plan

I could go on, but I'll just say I have never seen my skin look better and I am having great success in both sales and recruiting.

------------------
Amy Jo Garner
NOEVIR Independent Consultant
Discover the Noevir Difference
http://www.mynoevirbiz.com/ajgarner

ccarroll
WAHM.com regular
posted September 29, 2004 12:35 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for ccarroll   Click Here to Email ccarroll     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I have been selling Avon for almost 3 years. There are so many reasons I love this company.

*Mainly, the products are top notch. The prices are reasonable... cheap even, for top quality products.
*Breakthough products
*Freedom to sell our products in anyway we need to
*Awesome training programs
*own your own business for $15
*Leadership programs with bonus available
*Beauty Advisor programs

There is much more. Let me know if you would like more info

Good luck with your decision!
Chris

------------------
Looking for Avon, PS I Love You Cards; Gabby Goodies Coffee; Symmetry Nutritionals? Come see me at http://www.shoponyourseat.net. and http://www.gosymmetry.com/udderchaos
Have you listened to http://www.wahmtalkradio.com today?

igloochik
WAHM.com regular
posted September 29, 2004 08:39 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for igloochik   Click Here to Email igloochik     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I've been with Watkins for almost four years now, and ScentSations for a year and a half now.

When I first found out about Watkins, I was totally blown away to find out that I hadn't ever heard of them--and they've been around since 1868!! (yes, I said 1868--136 years!)

When I started talking to people about Watkins, I was very surprised to find many, many people with fond memories of their parents and grandparents using our products. The nostalgia factor really drew me--to sell products that people have trusted for over a century. The training I've received for this company has been more thorough and informative than any job training I've ever had--and I adore their products--everything from spices, kitchen products, heritage medicinals, nutritional products, and household products, too.

ScentSations was a company I stumbled upon, as I was looking for some really good candles--and it's a fast growing company, this is only their second year, but they're really taking off. I guess what impressed me about this company was not only the candles (triple scented, hand poured, and in over seventy scents), but the personal touch of the company. Very often when you call, you end up talking with one of the owners.

Anyhow, that's what drew me to both of them!

Kelly Sutton http://www.watkinsonline.com/kellysutton
Pumpkin bread and Gingerbread Honey Creme--two yummy things in our Fall Gift Line!
http://www.veggiecandles.com
Ask me how you can join ScentSations for FREE!

je61499
WAHM.com regular
posted September 29, 2004 02:07 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for je61499   Click Here to Email je61499     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hello Freckle,

I just wanted to say Hello from one europeean girl to another :-) I am from Sweden but live in New York since 1997. I have a 5 yer old son and a baby on the way. I have been a stay at home mom since my son was born and have for the last couple of years been a work at home mom with different businesses but the business i have now is the one i will stay with.... i am finally home when it comes to choosing a business.

Unfortunately i do not work for any cosmetic company. I used to work with Melaleuca but i would not recommend them :-(

I am now working with Ameriplan and if you would like to have some more information on them, just let me know.

Take care and i wish you all the best in your search!

~Jessica...:-)

Jessica M. Byers
AmeriPlanUSA® Broker
347-228-3086 EST.
GetPaidDaily@simpleasabc.com
http://www.DeliveringOnThePromise.com/JByers
http://getpaiddaily.homestead.com/jessica.html

meleemel
WAHM.com regular
posted September 29, 2004 02:19 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for meleemel     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ok..this is perhaps totally OT, but I just had to share. A few weeks ago I was shopping in Kohls when the lady behind me in line handed me a free sample and her business card (maryKay rep.) I thought to myself "Do I look THAT bad"...LOL
mel

------------------
!!!!Advertise Free in my new Forum!!!
Kid‘s Bedroom and Baby Nursery Decorating Articles, Shopping, and more!
Save on Business Cards

image_pro
WAHM.com regular
posted September 29, 2004 05:59 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for image_pro     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Melle, I'm sure you look great! It is part of the MK training... they are trained to talk to 3-5 sharp looking women a day. So, you must be a sharp looking woman!! Way to go!

image_pro
WAHM.com regular
posted September 29, 2004 06:07 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for image_pro     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MLT:
Cheryl, I'm a four-month-old consultant with Arbonne. I'm curious as to why it wasn't a good match for you.

I'll e mail you to explain.

kristink
New to WAHM.com
posted September 30, 2004 06:53 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for kristink   Click Here to Email kristink     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
You didnt mention the company I'm with, either. That doesnt surprise me, though. It's a newer (6 years old), debt free company. Our main market is in the midwest right now, only because that's where the company is based. We are starting to get consultants in other areas of the country.

Why I love the company that I'm with? The number one reason is the products. It is a ALOE based skincare line. The first ingredient in our products is aloe. Ive been looking forever for something to use on my problem skin and the is the product I've found works better than anything. L'Bri also has a great line of nutritional products (vitamins, nutritional juice drink, etc).
Several other reasons
-No inventory
-No delivery for the consultant or the hostess
-free shipping to customers
-Sample program (a great way to sell product without doing parties)
-no quotas
-outstanding training
-great compensation

Truly, I started the business just to get the products at a discount. My business has taken off pretty well. The products are awesome.

------------------
Kristin Klatt
Independant L'Bri consultant
kristink.lbrionine.com

meleemel
WAHM.com regular
posted September 30, 2004 08:26 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for meleemel     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
image_pro

LOL Sureeeee.!!! You are sooo nice! I guess when I get my business cards I'll have to work-up the courage to approach people too!
mel

------------------
!!!!Advertise Free in my new Forum!!!
Kid‘s Bedroom and Baby Nursery Decorating Articles, Shopping, and more!
Save on Business Cards

surausa
WAHM.com regular
posted September 30, 2004 10:00 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for surausa   Click Here to Email surausa     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hi there. My name is Susanne and I was born and raised in Germany as well. I would love to chat with you some time. You can find my email address on my passport site. I am not posting it to avoid spyders getting a hold of it.

------------------
Susanne
My Passport Business Site
Rich Dad Books and Games

All times are ET (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | WAHM.com