THESE BOARDS ARE NOW READ ONLY -- PLEASE COME TO OUR *NEW* MESSAGE BOARDS: www.wahm.com/forum

See you there! Cheryl :)

WAHM.com logo
WAHM WAHM Free WAHM Masters Course
WAHM Home
WAHM boards
WAHM.com jobs
WAHM.com articles
WAHM opportunities
WAHM Classifieds
WAHM Directory
WAHM Businesses
WAHM editorial
WAHM Mom the cartoon
WAHM bookstore

WAHM Links
WAHMEE Award
WAHM.com Undercover
Ask Jane
Recipes
WAHM question
WAHM advice

From the FTC:

WAHM.com Boards
  Crafting WAHMs
  Tiny Details? (Page 1)

profile | register | preferences | faq | search

This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2  next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Tiny Details?
TheMommySite
WAHM.com regular
posted July 29, 2004 03:21 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for TheMommySite     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Has anyone had any experience with this company?
http://www.tinydetails.com

------------------
~*~*~*~*~*~
~Monica~

Free Coupons

Work at Home

IP: Logged

Spiritualyoga
WAHM.com regular
posted July 29, 2004 09:15 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Spiritualyoga   Click Here to Email Spiritualyoga     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I looked at the site. I would also be interested to know becuase some of it looks like something I would like to do.

Thanks
Megan

terrapin&4boys
WAHM.com regular
posted July 29, 2004 11:13 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for terrapin&4boys     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
If you use the search button in the upper corner for tiny details or tinydetails it should bring up some past threads.
Or just go to the next couple pages of posts here on the craft board, there were some big long discussions about this company.
The jist of them being a lot of difficult work, not as easy as they claim it to be and I don't recall anyone actually being paid for it.

------------------
Loretta
Stitching the Night Away Cross Stitch & Crafting Community, free patterns
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Earn Money with Catalogs.com

aku_djinn
New to WAHM.com
posted August 27, 2004 01:35 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for aku_djinn   Click Here to Email aku_djinn     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheMommySite:
Has anyone had any experience with this company?
http://www.tinydetails.com

We got ripped off big time it's just a scam to get people's "deposit" money.. don't be fooled by slick Web site. I would warn everyone about this scam!

chers
WAHM.com regular
posted August 27, 2004 02:14 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for chers     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hi,
I am doing them now. I picked to do the books, one of their hardest kits I've been told. I sent in three samples and got approved and am now working on my first unit. I'll keep you posted on how it goes if you like.
Cheryl

vpaty
New to WAHM.com
posted September 03, 2004 05:36 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for vpaty   Click Here to Email vpaty     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hi Cheryl,
I would like to try this company, how is your first kit coming along?

chers
WAHM.com regular
posted September 03, 2004 07:29 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for chers     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vpaty:
Hi Cheryl,
I would like to try this company, how is your first kit coming along?

Hi,
I just sent in my first unit of books 2 days ago, so I am waiting to hear from them. There is one thing to remember if you decide to try this one these are items made for dollhouses so they are quite small. When I first ordered my starter kit I also bought a different tool for cutting out the items. I bought an exacto knife that is like a pen. I found the one that came with the kit too flimsy for me to get the straight lines and squared corners. I will post here with the results of my first unit. I wish you luck with whatever you decide. If you have anymore questions please feel free to ask.
Have a nice day!
Cheryl

vpaty
New to WAHM.com
posted September 04, 2004 01:51 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for vpaty   Click Here to Email vpaty     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chers:
Hi,
I just sent in my first unit of books 2 days ago, so I am waiting to hear from them. There is one thing to remember if you decide to try this one these are items made for dollhouses so they are quite small. When I first ordered my starter kit I also bought a different tool for cutting out the items. I bought an exacto knife that is like a pen. I found the one that came with the kit too flimsy for me to get the straight lines and squared corners. I will post here with the results of my first unit. I wish you luck with whatever you decide. If you have anymore questions please feel free to ask.
Have a nice day!
Cheryl

Good morning,
Thanks for the info! I think I will wait and see how it goes with your first unit...since as you said it was the hardest one, I would like to work with these types of items so I hope everything goes well with this company. Keep us posted. Good Luck!

Thanks,
Valerie

chers
WAHM.com regular
posted September 09, 2004 06:19 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for chers     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hi,
I just got paid today! Yahhhhhhh I am so happy. My first unit was accepted and my check came in the mail. Just a few tips if you decide to try this. I didn't use the cutter or blade that came with the kit. I bought an x-acto knife that looks like a pen. I found with the one that was included with the kit I couldn't get the right cuts with it. I also use a stainless steel ruler as a cutting guide. I wish you luck with your decision.
Cheryl

vpaty
New to WAHM.com
posted September 10, 2004 02:10 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for vpaty   Click Here to Email vpaty     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
quote:
Hi,
I just got paid today! Yahhhhhhh I am so happy. My first unit was accepted and my check came in the mail. Just a few tips if you decide to try this. I didn't use the cutter or blade that came with the kit. I bought an x-acto knife that looks like a pen. I found with the one that was included with the kit I couldn't get the right cuts with it. I also use a stainless steel ruler as a cutting guide. I wish you luck with your decision.
Cheryl

Hi,
Wow, that was fast. Although I have to say I am a little discouraged from reading the posts from the earlier thread that they said that none of their items were accepted...just how hard are these to make?
Thanks for the update!
-Valerie

chers
WAHM.com regular
posted September 10, 2004 11:02 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for chers     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hi Valerie,
Your question is a tough one to answer. These items are quite small when you think they are for dollhouses. I have always been good at working with very small items, so maybe that is why it works for me. I also tried doing this work with the tools included in the kit and found that totally didn't work for me. I developed my own way of making it work for me through trial and error, and yet gives them the results they want. When I sent my samples in I didn't just send them one I sent them about five samples. If that made a difference in them accepting my work or not I don't know. If your not sure about this one there is another one I have sent for a starter kit to and am expecting it any day now. The web site is www.magicalgift.com and they have a variety of different projects. Some are sewing, some painting, and some using a glue gun. I picked the snowman #9 to try. I sent them emails and asked questions and they answered within a day. All the projects have different rates of pay and different maximum weekly earnings. They also have a frequently asked questions section, and full pictures of all their projects. Maybe this might interest you. I don't want to discourage you from Tiny Details but maybe this might be a better idea. I do wish you the best of luck in you decision. If you have any other questions about either of these please feel free to email me here or off the board. Have a nice day!
Cheryl

vpaty
New to WAHM.com
posted September 11, 2004 02:08 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for vpaty   Click Here to Email vpaty     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
quote:
Hi Valerie,
Your question is a tough one to answer. These items are quite small when you think they are for dollhouses. I have always been good at working with very small items, so maybe that is why it works for me. I also tried doing this work with the tools included in the kit and found that totally didn't work for me. I developed my own way of making it work for me through trial and error, and yet gives them the results they want. When I sent my samples in I didn't just send them one I sent them about five samples. If that made a difference in them accepting my work or not I don't know. If your not sure about this one there is another one I have sent for a starter kit to and am expecting it any day now. The web site is www.magicalgift.com and they have a variety of different projects. Some are sewing, some painting, and some using a glue gun. I picked the snowman #9 to try. I sent them emails and asked questions and they answered within a day. All the projects have different rates of pay and different maximum weekly earnings. They also have a frequently asked questions section, and full pictures of all their projects. Maybe this might interest you. I don't want to discourage you from Tiny Details but maybe this might be a better idea. I do wish you the best of luck in you decision. If you have any other questions about either of these please feel free to email me here or off the board. Have a nice day!
Cheryl

You have mail!

kris, a WAH hopeful
WAHM.com regular
posted September 13, 2004 09:54 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for kris, a WAH hopeful     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chers-

You got approved and PAID!!!!----good for you!!!!I thought this one was a scam as per older posts --- let us know how it goes for you! and if you will continue on with them-

------------------
Custom Wreaths & Arrangements for Any Occassion
www.yourcrafts.com/KrisCustomCreations.htm

[This message has been edited by kris, a WAH hopeful (edited September 13, 2004).]

chers
WAHM.com regular
posted September 13, 2004 11:00 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for chers     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hi,
I have already received my next set of supplies and have started to work on them already. I will keep you posted. Have a nice day!
Cheryl

dreyn
WAHM.com regular
posted September 16, 2004 11:07 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for dreyn   Click Here to Email dreyn     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hello Chers

That is just great. Keep the news coming. I'm going to follow this.

Doug

------------------
...posting on WAHM.COM since October of 2000...

Here is a good business oriented site that includes information for writers:
http://thedabblingmum.com/

Here is a good web host: I use it:
http://hostingdiva.com/

chers
WAHM.com regular
posted September 21, 2004 12:07 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for chers     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hi Everyone,
I completed my second unit of books and sent them in today. I'll let you know what happens next. Have a nice day!
Cheryl

clownstotheleft
New to WAHM.com
posted September 21, 2004 11:53 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for clownstotheleft     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hi Cheryl,
Can you please let us know how things go with Tiny Details. The products are so small! How are you able to complete the 100 miniatures on time? Please provide tips as I am interested in this company.

Did you give the deposit everytime you ordered a new unit?

Also were you not leery of a company with a complaint history with the BBB? I am unsure.

Let us know how it goes...

chers
WAHM.com regular
posted September 21, 2004 12:34 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for chers     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hi,
I was aware of the complaints and looked further into them. I found a counsumer complaint website and the people who happened to file with the BBB also voiced their complaints on this site. This web site gave Tiny Detail the chance to respond to the complaints and resolve them. I was satisfied with their response otherwise I don't think I would have tried it. The items are small, but I am good at working with small things and details. The other thing is that when I try any of these assmbly companies I give myself time to learn to do it. I read the instructions at least two or three times to pickup on everything they are trying to teach me before I start. The starter kits are complete meaning everything you need to make the item you pick is in there. They say some people can even cut these out using a pair of scissors. Not me! lol I also can't cut out the pieces using the cutter in the kit. I bought my own xacto knife that looks like a pen. I use a stainless steel ruler that doesn't have a cork back as a cutting guide. I plan on making 25 complete pieces a day. I don't cut all the pieces out, and then separate them, and then bag and staple them. For me that is too overwhelming. You don't have to make a deposit for the next unit you just keep rolling the deposit over. I hope this halps! I am also trying to design an item and figure out how to market it to gift shops the way all these companies do. There is one company that sells one style of bracelet in every color under the sun. They have been in business for over 5 years selling one item. It amazes me that they can do this and I can't figure out how. If anyone has any ideas could you please share?
Maybe a few of us could try this together? Have a nice day!
Cheryl

[This message has been edited by chers (edited September 21, 2004).]

reinstones
New to WAHM.com
posted September 22, 2004 10:19 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for reinstones     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I ordered 2 kits from Tiny Details at the end of August (the Victorian mail pieces and the Christmas lights boxes). Within 24 hours of receiving the kits, I realized that the work was not for me. I suspected, based upon their directions, that it would be extremely difficult to get any work to pass their "inspection", and was SURE that the amount of time I'd have to invest to complete the work would in NO WAY be worth the $50 per kit that I'd be paid.

Rather than make myself crazy, I decided to cut my losses and return the kits for a 50% refund.

I mailed the kits back on Sept. 2, 2004 and my $50.00 credit ($25 each for 2 returned kits) was issued on September 20th. I was worried that I would never receive my refund, but I did.

I've seen lots of other posts on the Web indicating that people have trouble getting their work to pass inspection, so if you're in the middle of a project, you might just want to cut your losses and return the kits for a 50% refund. As stated above, I DID GET my refund, just as their website stated.

chers
WAHM.com regular
posted September 24, 2004 06:46 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for chers     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hi Everyone,
I got paid again today from Tiny Details. For me this one is not a scam but I would say that this probably not for everyone. These are dollhouse miniatures and quite small to work with. If you are good at details and working with small things this might be for you. If this is your first time doing craft work or you are not good at working with small things and details than this is probably not for you. This is just my opinion. Have a nice day everyone!
Cheryl

4him
New to WAHM.com
posted September 25, 2004 06:02 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for 4him   Click Here to Email 4him     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chers,

Are you doing the tiny books and if so which one? I have looked at the site and am thinking of either starting with the books or the calenders. This looks like something I could do.

Also where did you get the exacto knife and what size is it?

Thanks,

Jan

[This message has been edited by 4him (edited September 25, 2004).]

chers
WAHM.com regular
posted September 26, 2004 04:36 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for chers     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hi Jan,
I am doing the Hardy Boys books. If you go to this web site www.buyonlinenow.com and do a search on xacto they will come up with one. It should say Xacto Knife 2000, black and this is the one I use. For blades I am using X-Acto No. 11 classic fine point blades. You will also need a surface to cut on. I tried a wood surface but once you cut a few times on that you get cut marks and now I am trying a small size self heating cutting mat to see how that will work. Good luck to you I hope it works out for you the way it has for me.
Cheryl

scarletbrook
New to WAHM.com
posted September 27, 2004 10:26 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for scarletbrook     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hi Cheryl,

I have been watching this thread about Tiny Details and I decided to give it a try. I have quick question for you. I spent last night trying to assembly the encyclopedia set for Tiny Details. I am finding that the printed lines that you are supposed to fold your book pages on are not lined up correctly, in other words following the printed lines gives me a crooked book. I decided that I would fold on the black lines only (as suggested in the instructions, should you receive a misprinted set) and trim away the red lines. When I trim the red lines away it makes my book smaller than it should be. Are you finding any of these issues with the Hardy Boys books? I am hoping that the sheet I was working from last night was just poorly printed and I will have better luck tonight. I am very glad for you that this is working out, itís so difficult to find legit assembly companies, and thank you for keeping us all posted on your progress.

chers
WAHM.com regular
posted September 27, 2004 10:49 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for chers     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hi,
Yes, I have that problem with some of them. If the completed book is considerably smaller to the point that it makes the book look distorted, I don't think I would send it in. Since you are doing a group of books I think they will probably compare the set of books for uniformity, so if it looks a lot smaller than the others I wouldn't send it in either. When I got my starter kit one of the first things I did was fill out the form for extra supplies so I would have them on hand in the event I needed them for a book that just didn't turn out right or that I made a mistake on. It took a little while to receive the extra supplies so in my opinion this was the right thing to do if you have a time issue to deal with. Also for my first set of samples I sent in five samples instead of two so they could get a better view of my work. If you have anymore questions please feel free ask here or email me off the board. I will be happy to help. Good luck I hope this works out for you as it has for me.
Cheryl

avonvs
New to WAHM.com
posted September 28, 2004 07:16 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for avonvs   Click Here to Email avonvs     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hi,

I am very interested in Tiny Details, especially since I hear someone is getting paid for their work! I have a couple of questions for Cheryl:

How long does it take you to make a set of 100 books?

Do they send a sample for you to go by with your first kit?

Thanks,
Virginia

chers
WAHM.com regular
posted September 28, 2004 09:53 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for chers     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hi Virginia,
Just to let you know I am making the books and I am working on my third unit. Right now it is taking me about 5 days to finish a unit of 100. I not sure exactly how long I spend a day working on them a guess would be about 4 hours. I am finding that I am starting to pick up a little speed and as I get more accustomed to making them I think I will get even faster. There are somedays it might take me longer if things just aren't going right. Yes they do send you a sample to compare your work to. They will also send you extra supplies at no extra charge other than a stamp to mail in your supply request. I ordered extra supplies right away knowing somewhere in the future I probably will need them. It took about three weeks to get the extra supplies. I hope this helps.
Cheryl

rqachel
New to WAHM.com
posted October 06, 2004 03:55 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for rqachel   Click Here to Email rqachel     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hi,

I was wondering how everyone is doing with Tiny Details? Has anyone else been paid for completing a set? and Generally how long does it take to get paid and sent a new set to construct after sending in the completed sets?

I am really interested in joining, but wanted to see if others are having a consistent positive experience with this company.

Thank You,
Rachel

T_J
New to WAHM.com
posted October 09, 2004 03:38 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for T_J   Click Here to Email T_J     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I'm hoping this company is helpful. I received a kit today for the wonder wheel. This is my first kit and I'm anxious to get started,BUT they sent the wrong sample so I have nothing to go by!!
I called but only got a recording , I left a message for them hoping I'll get some info.
I may fill out a order for more supplies but it costs 7.00,I don't even know if I can order a sample. That's a waste of my money for a mistake they made. especially if I find I need more materials later. I'm not sure what to think about them right now.

T_J
New to WAHM.com
posted October 09, 2004 04:13 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for T_J   Click Here to Email T_J     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I have to post again, OOPS! I just got excited and missed a little detail on my papers that this kit doesn't have a sample.
I have to make one. So not a mistake, just an inconvenience. I'm still not too thrilled about not getting to talk to a live person. Cutting out these TINY pieces is going to be exceptionally hard.

roni
New to WAHM.com
posted October 11, 2004 06:11 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for roni   Click Here to Email roni     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Just checking with all of those who are working with TinyDetails.
Cher...have you gotten paid a 3rd time?
T.J....How's it going on your project? What's the most difficult thing(s) so far?
Anyone else decided to take the plunge yet?
Roni

rtanza
WAHM.com regular
posted October 11, 2004 08:05 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for rtanza     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hi there!

I took the plunge, but I haven't received my kit yet. I ordered one last week (around Tuesday). I'm also looking forwards to working with Tiny Details!!!

Take care!
Rosie

chers
WAHM.com regular
posted October 11, 2004 09:31 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for chers     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hi,
No, I haven't gotten paid a third time yet. It seems like maybe they might have a lot of work to do. It been a little over a week and I have not heard anything. Then again there is no mail delivery today.lol Just impatient I guess.
Cheryl

chers
WAHM.com regular
posted October 11, 2004 09:35 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for chers     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hi Again
Rosie if you took their I think its priority mail service you should get it in a day or two, and if not it might take a little longer. Roni, I am doing the books. The most difficult thing for me is folding the pages so they line up evenly. Good luck to all and have a nice day!
Cheryl

rtanza
WAHM.com regular
posted October 11, 2004 09:46 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for rtanza     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hi, Chers!

No, I ordered my kit by regular mail. Anyway, I hope that when I make my sample(s) that they'll pass inspection. If they do, I'll try ordering also from Christian Miniatures.

Take care!
Rosie

glitter_x
New to WAHM.com
posted October 11, 2004 10:48 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for glitter_x     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I'm thinking of doing the holy card from christian miniatures. I'm good with an xacto knife but it's just so tiny. I'll have to think about it.

T_J
New to WAHM.com
posted October 13, 2004 03:35 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for T_J   Click Here to Email T_J     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I ordered 2 kits, I'll never try doing the game board again, the tiny game pieces are way too small to deal with. I sent my samples in just yesterday and I'm waiting to hear from them, the books aren't too bad but lining up the pages is difficult, and extra materials is a must since everything needs to be cut perfectly.

roni
New to WAHM.com
posted October 18, 2004 08:11 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for roni   Click Here to Email roni     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hi Chers,
Just checking in to see if you've been paid a 3rd time yet....also have you started on your next unit of books?
How about any other tiny detail crafters...any of you guys passed inspection and been paid yet? I'm hoping to hear some good news about this company since I am considering working with them.
Thanks!
Roni

rtanza
WAHM.com regular
posted October 18, 2004 08:28 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for rtanza     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hi!

I got my first kit from Tiny Details last Tuesday (the New Testaments). I sent in my sample, and I'm waiing to hear about it. I also ordered a "God Bless Our Home" frame kit from Christian Miniatures last Thursday, and I got it today (boy, that was FAST!). I'm sending my sample for it tomorrow). If my samples and completed kits are accepted, I'll continue with them.

I'm very disappointed with New England Crafters, because they are VERY SLOW in sending their kits. I emailed them last week about not having received my first kit yet, and they replied that they take from 6-10 business days to MAIL OUT the kits after receiving payment, so, according to NEC, I should be receiving my kit sometime this week. Tiny Details and Christian Miniatures mail out their kits almost immediately upon receiving payment! I ordered from NEC before TD and CM, and the kit is still not here.

After I get paid for TD and CM, I'll ask for a new kit, plus another one or two using my first payments.

Take care, all!
Rosie

roni
New to WAHM.com
posted October 20, 2004 03:56 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for roni   Click Here to Email roni     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cheryl...
I hate to keep bothering you about this company but can you confirm if there has been any word on your 3rd payment yet?
There website says they believe in 'paying promptly' but as of your last update you had already been waiting a week for your check. Also, have you started on a 4th unit?
Thanks!
Roni

chers
WAHM.com regular
posted October 20, 2004 05:07 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for chers     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hi Roni,
I did get paid a short time ago and am working on my 4th unit. I am not working as diligently as I was. The reason being is I am trying to come up with a craft to sell on consignment to shops, and maybe find people who do craft fairs that would be willing to sell for a percentage. I have nothing set in gold yet, but I am working really hard on this right now and not so hard on Tiny Details. lol
Cheryl

This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2 

All times are ET (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | WAHM.com