Good news to all moms! There are a lot of opportunities for you to work at home, and becoming a beauty consultant is one of these. A beauty consultant can do various activities to make money; for example, you can advise other women on appropriate types of make-up to wear for their skin type. You can also help them determine what beauty or skin care products they should use. Apart from that, beauty consultants can also give advice on what to wear. You can make recommendations on clothing for certain occasions or hairstyles that are appropriate for a certain event.
Set up an Office
The beauty of this business is that you can operate your company from your own home. Set up a space that you can use for an office; it should be devoid of a TV and other distractions. You and your clients will need to concentrate, and your client deserves your undivided attention.
Be a Distributor
The easiest way to become a beauty consultant is to be a distributor for certain brands. With different brands at your disposal, you can easily have products to offer to your clients. You can supplement your consulting income with the products you sell.
The services you offer are only limited by your interests and imagination. If you like to mix things up a bit, you can also be a provider of beauty services (such as manicures and pedicures) or you can be a consultant in the truest sense and just dispense advice. As a beauty consultant, you can choose to be a generalist or specialist; either way you are bound to find something that interests you. Additional services may include:
- Bridal Specialist - You can offer a "bridal treatment" and advertise it in bridal shops. Giving a discount would greatly help too. Of course, before you advertise such a treatment, do the research on what should be included in such a package i.e. a massage, hairdo, and make-up among other things.
- Recovering-from-a-Pregnancy Beauty Consultant - Many new mothers will need consultation about the best ways to handle stretch marks, spider veins and other post pregnancy beauty concerns.
- Graceful Aging Specialist - Baby boomers are not willing to give in to wrinkles, but many do not know what options exist (e.g. collagen fillers, laser skin treatments, botox, and even plastic surgery). Having the latest information will be important.
- Generalist - As a general beauty consultant, you will need to be versed in the current trends of skin, hair and fashion. Becoming a beauty consultant is not an easy task; be sure to do plenty of research and study the basics before starting your business.
Advertise Your Business
To expand your customer base, you need to advertise your business effectively. It is essential for you to secure business cards for distribution since these are inexpensive, will help you develop a professional image and are useful when left in strategic locations (e.g. mothers groups, clothing boutiques and fitness centers). You should carry them around wherever because you never know when a chance conversation will lead you to handing your business card to a potential client.
Another way to advertise your beauty consultancy firm is to have your own website. Here, you can place vital information about you and your beauty consultant business. You can also add a few beauty tips and advertise certain products related to your niche. If you have the budget, you may consider paying for a sponsored ad with one of the search engines.
Post flyers as well. Contact your local health club and distribute your flyers there and give discounts to club members as a way of encouraging new customers. You may also consider paying referral fees to businesses that are willing to distribute your business cards.
Your earnings will depend on the number of clients you are able to attract and the rate you charge for your services. There are a couple of ways to calculate your rate of pay:
- Figure out the hourly rate that you would receive if you were an employee and multiply that by 3. This is the hourly rate you should charge your clients.
- Receive a commission off the products that you sell.
- Charge a flat project rate (you will need to accurately determine how much time it will take to complete such a project).
Part time beauty consultants may only earn only a few thousand dollars a year, but successful full-time beauty consultants may earn more than $90,000 per year.
How to Treat Your Clients
Once you have clients coming in to your home based beauty consultancy, accommodate them with a cup of coffee and a book to read if they need to wait. Make them feel at home; this is the key to securing permanent customers. Advertising would only take you half way through; the real challenge is keeping the clients you have. Treat every customer with respect and get to know the things they want to work on and the things they like. Small talk or chitchat is also vital.
In barber shops, men talk about a myriad of things such as sports, politics and what is on TV. You can apply this to your business because chitchat is a good way to establish rapport.
Good luck and have fun!